Quality full all-rounders are tough to be seen in international cricket nowadays. There are four to five all-rounders in total who can be eventually called genuine all-rounders in present days. Shakin Al Hasan is one of them & is the best Bangladeshi cricketer ever arguably. Shakib is celebrating the 34th birthday of him today on march 24, 2021.
The time was August 6, 2006, the world’s best all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan made his ODI debut at the age of 19 against Zimbabwe in Harare, he made his T20I debut in Khulna against Zimbabwe in the same year, and his Test debut against India was made in Chittagong the next year. Starting from Harare, he has dominated both in batting-bowling units in Mirpur, Multan, Lord’s, Old Trafford, Cardiff, Hamilton and 14 years have passed by. That glittering 108-run innings in Multan or picking up a five-wicket haul against England at Old Trafford in June 2010 – these are just the beginning. These matches proved that Shakib Al Hasan was becoming a true all-rounder from the very beginning.
So far, Shakib has scored 3930 runs playing 57 Test matches. He has scored 6436 runs in 209 ODIs and 1567 runs in 76 International T20s.
The number of wickets in Tests is 210, which is the highest for any Bangladeshi. The number of wickets in ODI cricket is 266. The number of wickets in T20 cricket is 92, which is the highest for any Bangladeshi and the fifth-highest by any international player.
Shakib has 25 half-centuries & 5 centuries in Tests, where his career-best innings is 217 runs. In ODI cricket, he has 48 half-centuries and 9 centuries. 9 half-centuries are there in his T20 career so far with a career-best of 84 runs.
He also made his IPL debut in 2011 and has played 63 matches so far, scoring 746 runs and taking 59 wickets.
96* & 8/129 against West Indies, July 2009, St. George’s. Bangladesh made history by winning the Grenada Test. This was the first time in the history of Test cricket that a team had been whitewashed by the Tigers. The last Test of the two-match series was so glorious for Shakib, the rest of the team were just playing the role of side characters. He picked up 3 wickets in the first innings, 5 wickets in the second innings. Playing for the target of 215 runs, the team lost 4 wickets scoring 67 runs, Shakib scored 96 runs from 97 balls and took the team out of the ditch, and won the match for the team.
106 & 3/54, Opponent New Zealand, October 2010, Mirpur. All-rounder Shakib also played a vital role for Bangladesh to win the first ODI series against New Zealand. Bangladesh gave New Zealand a target of 242 runs in his great century. After batting, Shakib Al Hasan bowled hard and gave New Zealand a huge push by taking 3 wickets. The Kiwis could not overcome that push. Bangladesh’s historic series win was confirmed.
144 & 7/129 Opponent Pakistan, December 2011, Mirpur. Shakib took himself to a new height with this Test. After scoring 144 runs in the first innings, Shakib also was bright in bowling, taking 6 wickets in the first innings. He picked up 7 wickets in that match. Shakib’s all-around performance was a great achievement despite the series being a nightmare for the Tigers. After that match, Shakib also topped the rankings of Test all-rounders like ODIs.
137 & 10/124 opponents Zimbabwe, November 2014, Khulna. Shakib’s name arose in the pages of history with picking up 10 wickets in a match. He scored a century in the first innings and picked up 10 wickets in the same match. Ian Botham and Imran Khan were the only two names on this page of the Test cricket record book. Shakib is the latest addition to this list of excellent achievements.
October 30, 2016, the first time England lost a Test to Bangladesh. Bangladesh was almost there to beat England in the Chittagong Test, but couldn’t succeed in the end. They came to play the Mirpur Test with that regret. In that Mirpur Test, Miraz took 6 wickets in the second innings and Shakib took 4 wickets. Bangladeshi cricket fans will long remember the satirical celebration of Shakib, he gave a salute when he bowled Ben Stokes in that Test.
August, 2017, 84 runs & 10 wickets in 2 innings. This was Bangladesh’s first Test win against Australia. Shakib himself was the hero. He scored 84 runs in the first innings and took 10 wickets in total bowling for 2 innings.
September 9, 2017, New Zealand massacre in Cardiff. Shakib Al Hasan himself is an excellent example of how to lift the team from the edge of the abyss. Bangladesh lost 4 wickets for 33 runs in the Champions Trophy against New Zealand at the start of the chase. Shakib was on the wicket along with Mahmudullah Riyad. The two of them gave the light of hope. Bangladesh won the match courtesy of Shakib’s 114 runs. Mahmudullah Riyad also scored a century that day.
Bangladesh in the 2019 World Cup. Bangladesh had a sweet and sour tournament but Shakib was extraordinary with 606 runs and 11 wickets. If Bangladesh got a ticket to the semi-final, the Man of the Tournament award would surely go to him.
The record book of “Mr. 75”:
- Shakib holds the record for the fastest 3000 runs and 150 wickets in Test cricket. Shakib is the 13th cricketer in the history of cricket to reach the milestone of 3000 runs and 200 wickets in Test cricket and the fastest as well.
- Only four all-rounders in ODI cricket history have 6,000 runs, 250 wickets, and 50 catches; Shakib is one of them.
- Only three cricketers, including Shakib, have scored a century and taken 10 wickets in the same Test. Shakib also has a century and four wickets in an ODI. He has the record of taking five wickets and more than 40 runs in the same T20 match.
- Shakib Al Hasan is the only all-rounder to have scored 1,500 runs and taken 60 wickets in international T20 cricket.
- Shakib is the only cricketer in the history of the World Cup to have scored 1100 runs and taken 30 wickets. This fame of Shakib is unique. Apart from Shakib, no one else has even 700 runs with 30 wickets.
- Shakib is the only all-rounder in the history of cricket to have scored 600+ runs and taken 10+ wickets in a particular World Cup. Apart from Shakib, no one else has even 400 runs with 10 wickets.
- Shakib has a total of twelve 50-run innings in ICC Cricket World Cup. Only Sachin is there ahead of Shakib.
- Shakib became the first Bangladeshi bowler to take five wickets in an innings in the World Cup.
- Shakib is the second cricketer after Yuvraj Singh to score 50 runs and take 5 wickets in the same match in the World Cup.
- Shakib is the second cricketer to score 11,000 runs and take 500 wickets in international cricket.
Shakib is unique in everything, it might be either statistical criteria or contribution to the team’s victory. Shakib means a fairy tale, Shakib means a rhapsody. “He will be again seen on the red-green jersey, will show his magic on the field and the gallery will utter Shakib, Shakib…..” – This hope prevails.
– Happy Birthday The Living Legend Shakib.
A cricketer whose record book demands to be turned over and over again, a cricketer who is always in the spotlight of Bangladesh cricket. A cricketer whose hands capture the dreams that have been extinguished. He is ‘Mr.75’, the poster boy of Bangladesh cricket. To know about more interesting news of cricket legends like this, click on baji.live!